Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Air Intake Control - Spring Loaded Closures

Time to build the Airflow Control Closures for the lower air intakes. I decided I'd rather have spring loaded, rotating metal closers than the usual ball valve and nipples/caps that most people use. It really doesn't matter how you open and close the holes, as long as you have fine control of the amount of air that can flow into the barrel and feed the lit charcoal. Here is a piece of 1- 1/4 inch wide mild steel strap about 1/8 inch thick and 36 inches long I will use for the closures. I got it at Home Depot.

I cut the strap into lenghts 5 inches long, 4 of them. A 1/4 inch hole will be drilled at the 2 inch mark. The 4 inch mark will be where the strap is bent 90 degrees to form a "handle".

The strap is easily bent when placed in a bench vise and "persuaded" with a hammer.

The bend made, and the hole drilled, along with the required bolt, nuts, washer and spring.

Here it is installed on the drum, with the holes closed off.

Spin it either direction to open the airflow. It's infinately adjustable.

Wide Open. The spring pressure on the strap and against the drum keeps your adjustment from changing.

Adjust the spring pressure with the lower nut, then lock it with the upper nut.

After paint.

No comments: