I decided to build my UDS upside down so that the removalable barrel lid would become the bottom and be easily removable for cleaning. That means the bottom (now top), needs to be cut out. I don't have a barrel header tool, but no problem, a cold chisel and a hammer, and about 5 minutes takes the bottom out. The barrel steel is mild and thin, and cuts easily. Just don't hit your thumb with the hammer!
Lay the barrel down on a solid surface like the garage floor, and hammer down the ragged edge. I later ground it smooth with my hand grinder, but it was not absolutely necessary. The hammered edges were just fine.
Divide the drum into 4 equal sections using a couple of straight edges.
On each of the 4 divisions, draw a line on the side of the barrel to locate the lower airflow holes.
My first 3/4 inch hole is 2 inches from the bottom. The second hole is centered at 4 inches. A 1/4 inch hole will be centered between the 2 large holes.
The holes are drilled. The step drill bit made short work of it in this mild sheet metal. I used the step drill for all of the larger holes I drilled in the sheet metal.
Here is the same measurement of the hole locations after the holes are drilled.
1 comment:
Thid UDS build is totally amazing!
I thought my build was pretty good but yours puts it to shame. Very good job and you should be proud of your efforts! I to am a collector of spare parts form about anything I can get my hands on, so it looks like I neeed to start collecting more for my "upgraded" version UDS! lol thanks for posting your hard work for us to see.
Dave M.
Post a Comment