The lid from the donor Kettle Grill fit my barrel really well.
Here's how it fit sitting on the top of the barrel with the removable top off.
Here's how it fit on the bottom rim of the barrel.
After a lot of thought, I decided that the hinges from the donor Kettle Grill would be usable on the barrel to make the lid hinged. I had to modify the bottom parts of the hinge, as the barrel does not slope off at an angle like the Kettle does. With some trial and error, a hack saw, drill, and a file, I came up with the one on the left. The one on the right has not beem modified yet. I think if I had this to do over, I would make the bottom half of the hinge from scratch with a little piece of 90 degree angle steel. In any case this mod works. You are kind of on your own here if you decide to hinge the lid.
Here it is testing the fit.
In the end, I had to use some washers as spacers to adjust the lid's fit on the barrel rim. Not difficult, just some trial and error adding or subtracting washers.
No comments:
Post a Comment