Saturday, September 6, 2008

Smoking on the UDS - Experiences

I have been using the UDS since I first posted this blog about how I built it. So, I thought it was about time to post some experiences and results. I can easily say that this is the only smoker that I use now for low and slow. I still like to grill on my horizontal Oklahoma Joe's, but for long, low temp cooks, the UDS just does such a good job, that it's all I need. I sold my 2 Brinkman ECB bullet smokers on Craig's list and have recovered about 50% of the cost of building the UDS. The UDS just got a lot cheaper, and I got part of my patio space back. My Smoke Hollow vertical gas smoker cabinet now sits forlornly at the edge of the patio. It better watch out, it might show up on Craigs List someday soon. Why use expensive propane gas when you can use cheap charcoal and some smoking woods to get the real flavor of BBQ smoking? I can think of no reason..... can you?

I guess we should start with lighting the charcoal and smoking wood, since that's the first step in the process. I put about 5-9 lbs of charcoal in my charcoal basket and arrange the smoking wood that I want to use around the basket. I don't like to use "Match Lite" or liquid charcoal starters. I have been using an electric loop starter for years, and find it quick and clean. It helps that I have a convenient electrical outlet on my patio to plug it in. I found that it works well in the UDS. I just drag it back out by the cord when the coals get going.


Since this picture was taken, the loop starter, after a lot of use, finally burned out. They usually last me an entire summer, so I have been buying about 2 of them a year. It's cheaper than liquid lighter, and with no added taste.

I went out to buy a new electric loop starter, and decided to try a Weber Chimney charcoal starter instead.

Just light about 1/2 chimney of charcoal using a couple sheets of newspaper and dump the lit coals on top of the charcoal/wood in the basket in the UDS. Wear some gloves, it's not dangerous, but sparks do fly up during the charcoal dump.


So let's get to some pictures of meat being smoked on the UDS.


Two racks of un-trimmed Pork Spare ribs and some foiled potatoes.


"Pulled Pork" - a pork shoulder "butt" smoked low and slow and "pulled" or shredded off the bone. Its ready for a delicious meal and some BBQ sandwiches.

More Pork Spares, this time flanking a Pork Loin stuffed with creme cheese, bell pepper, and chopped onion. That Loin did turn out GOOD!


After about 3 hours at around 225F, I foiled the Spares in heavy duty aluminun foil with some added apple juice. I then started rotating the Loin about every 30 minutes, but never turning it upside down to lose the creme cheese stuffing.

A 19+ lb. Turkey I smoked for a customer for Thanksgiving. She reported that her family loved it!


An 11 lb. Turkey and an 8 lb. Ham for our own Thanksgiving meal.

Stay tuned for more smoking action on the UDS.


No comments: