Christmas is a great time of year, for all the right reasons. One of the reasons for the Season is of course the opportunity to express our love and gratitude for Family, and a small part of this is the exchange of Gifts to each other. I ended up with a gift card from Home Depot. Not a large dollar amount, but that was not the Reason or the Intent. I decided to apply the gift card to an item in the Home Depot BBQ/Grilling section that I have had my eye on. I have wanted to add an electric Rotisserie to the UDS since I built it. My local Home Depot carries a "Premium Electric Rotisserie" by Char-Broil. I applied my gift card and the remainder from my own debit card, and took my prize home to install it on the UDS.
I decided not to cut the lid, but to grind out a notch in the top rim of the barrel with my hand grinder. I had to remove a previously installed Beer Bottle Opener and move it to another location. I filled the holes with pop rivets. This is one of the beauties of the UDS. If you end up with extra holes, due to re-design, or worse, poor planning, it's a simple matter to plug the holes with a fastener such as a pop rivet or a bolt and nut.

The Rotisserie is designed to be a "Universal Fit" so the rod is extra long to accomodate the wider propane grills.
Here it is after locating the brackets on each side of the UDS to hold the Motor and the rod.
With the Lid closed, you can hardly see that the Rotisserie was added to the UDS.
And finally a shot of the Rotisserie installed on the UDS with the lid open. The hardest part of the install, and the part that took the most time, was adjusting the brackets on both sides so that the rod ran freely in the notches that I cut into the barrel. The whole installation process took less than 2 hours.
My first ever whole Chicken on the Rotisserie in the UDS. Here are the spices I used.
The Chicken is on the rod. I had to use some butcher string to keep it solidly on the rod.
This Sherry/Citrus Rib Glaze was just the thing for this chicken.

Basting the Glaze on the Chicken.
The finished product. It was delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment